Dong Zhao, Ph.D., LEED AP
Dong Zhao is an Associate Professor of Construction Management and Associate Professor of Civil Engineering at MSU. He is also an affiliated faculty in the Environmental Science and Policy Program. Prior to joining MSU, he was a Postdoctoral Fellow at Virginia Tech where he earned his Ph.D. He is a LEED AP certified by U.S. Green Building Council, a TEDx selected speaker, and a recipient of the National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, the ASCE’s national ExCEEd Teaching Award, and an ASCE Best Journal Paper Award. He is a member of the Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honor Society.
His research focuses on human-building integration towards smart buildings and cities. His research integrates human factors to building systems through advanced computing for productivity, sustainability, and resilience. His research seeks data-driven solutions and intelligent decision-making by connecting a digital world to balanced, optimal, and robust real work-systems that include people, technology, organization, and environments.
His work has been funded by multiple agencies including NSF, the U.S. Department of Transportation, the U.S. Economic Development Administration, the Michigan Department of Transportation, and other foundations or associations. He has authored more than 80 peer-reviewed papers. He serves on several national committees and foundation agencies including NSF panels. He is currently an elected officer for the ASCE’s Data Sensing and Analysis Committee (DSA). He also serves for multiple international journals and conferences as an editor or reviewer.
Honors and Awards
- Election to Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honor Society
- NSF CAREER Award
- ASCE ExCEEd (Excellence in Civil Engineering Education) Teaching Award
- Outstanding Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering & Management
- Outstanding Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Civil Engineering Education
- AGC Robert L. Bowen Fellowship
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellow
- Election to MSU Academy of Global Engagement
- Best Journal Paper Award, ASCE Journal of Architectural Engineering
- Outstanding Dissertation Nomination Award, Virginia Tech